Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I'm Tom Hanks from "Big"

I'm sure everyone at one point in their life has thought about how nice it would be to be little again. Not really a specific age, just little. Maybe sometime in between kindergarten and the end of elementary or even before. I find myself thinking about that often now.

Things were so much more simple back then. Only things we had to worry about was an occasional homework assignment, which might consist of coloring or basic math problems, getting into trouble with our parents that might lead to disciplining (which for me was either a belt or a big wooden spoon), or to narrow down your super long christmas list to the things you wanted most.

These times were great! No responsibilities. No bills. No jobs. No worries about gas prices or stimulus plans. We lived moment to moment and tried to find out how to make the world we lived in more fun and more enjoyable. And the creativity we had was amazing! If you ever notice people loose creativity when they grow older due to people using phrases such as, "Grow up." or "Stop being immature." or even "Stop that foolish thinking; this is the real world." But that's foolishness talking. I loved/love to look up at clouds to see what I can see or daydream about experiences that will never happen. That's why I love to design! We use design as a form of visual communication because, as we all know, a picture is like 1000 words. It communicates an idea or how we want it interpreted. The saying, "The kids say the darndest things" reminds me of this because we get a tiny view of how they percieve the world. That's why I love to hang around kids. Sometimes I get a chance to help out in the nursery at our church and it is always a blast. Though usually I am out of breath, it's always fun giving piggy back rides, hide and seek, or the classic airpline ride. It helps me let loose and be a kid again.

We need more times like this. It's so uplifting and relieves us from the stress and thoughts of what we have to do in our day to day lives. Studies have shown that stress is a major contributor of heart disease, high blood pressure, strokes, and also affects the immune system. Who wants to live with that? And some may ask do we even have a choice? Life, otherwise known or called reality, is something we all have to deal with. However, we can choose how we deal with it.

For me, I'm choosing to deal with it in the most fun, creative, and enjoyable way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment